Monday, March 4, 2013

Glowing Inside and Out: The Countless Benefits of Yoga


I love yoga. It, to me, is the most rewarding form of exercise. Although I just began practicing again recently, I can already feel the positive effects it has on my body, mind, and soul. The physical benefits are unbelievable. I feel stronger, more limber, and more energetic in my day to day life. The mental and emotional effects are so powerful and important as well. I tend to take things less seriously, I am more patient, kind, markedly less anxious, angry, and sad. Spiritually, I feel more connected to nature, the universe, and life. Finally, since this blog does center around beauty, I can add that the practice has done wonders for my skin. Additionally, I know that the effects of yoga will begin to show in the composition of my body over time.

While all of these positive changes are huge motivators, I want to say that the most empowering aspect of Yoga, to me, is the fact that it encourages one to accept oneself as he or she is now, in the present moment -- flaws and all. I am not in shape, nor am I at an advanced level in the practice -- and that's okay.

 While other forms of exercise encourage you to push yourself to your physical limits, yoga invites you to put the health and well being of your body first. The mentality behind yoga asserts that one must move with one's body -- not against it. You have to treat yourself lovingly, to be gentle and understanding of what you are capable of. There are no set goals. I am the type of person who pushes myself to the brink of physical exhaustion when I work out, so it is actually challenging for me to listen to my body and understand when I can and can't keep pushing. Thanks to the body-positive mentality of yoga, I  am learning to connect to my body in a radically positive and harmonious way. That, along with many other factors, is why yoga is so enriching.

In addition to frequenting my local studio, I picked up a yoga DVD to supplement my practice on the days I don't have time to go to a class. I have enjoyed it so far. The more I do yoga, the more I crave it, so I want to have the ability to practice at any given moment.

Do you have a favorite form of exercise? Sound off in the comments about your experiences with yoga or any other regular fitness routine.

Namaste,

M

No comments:

Post a Comment