Friday, August 23, 2013

21 Day Yoga/Run Challlenge! A Mile a Day Keeps the Doctor Away...

Today I started my mile-a-day challenge. I first heard about this challenge via a blog post from Lululemon, and it really inspired me. I think a main point of this challenge is to practice consistency, one of the most integral qualities of a successful workout plan.  It is amazing how our minds work against us, how it  can convince us that getting out of bed  takes superhuman effort one day and how it can encourage us to run a marathon the next. The most important aspect of this challenge is that you are moving every single day with no opportunities to talk yourself out of it, and no opportunities for burn out since it's such a reasonable daily goal.

I am going to run at least a mile every day from today (Aug 23rd) until September 12th. I am also participating in Yoga Journal's 21 day yoga challenge concurrently. You can sign up for the free challenge here! This is a challenging (yet achievable) goal that, I hope, will encourage me to dedicate a portion of every day to improving my cardiovascular health, flexibility, and mental clarity and happiness. While I know a mile isn't a terribly long distance, I hope that I will run more on days I feel up for it and at least a mile on the days  I don't want to move at all.

I encourage anyone reading to also participate in this month-long challenge towards building exercise habits into ones' life. Regardless of how busy one is, it is incredibly important to make time for movement. It connects you to yourself and your body in a way that has the potential to alter your life for the better. I will update this blog on how I am doing and what I face along the way, and that will hopefully make it an even more rewarding experience.

What are you waiting for? Lace up your running shoes and hit the pavement with me. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment